I love this quick, easy and cost effective way to make my own baby wipes at home. Once the ingredients are purchased, they last ages and should make you plenty of batches of these wipes that are super soft and kind on your baby or toddlers bottom, and the environment.
I originally started making my own baby wipes at home due to my terrible dermatitis. I found that using supermarket-bought baby wipes day after day was really taking its toll on my skin, even when purchasing the organic, fragrance-free brands.
My concern was that I had tried making my own face/make up wipes in the past using similar ingredients and I found they would go moldy before I was through a batch. But I was using them much less often than my baby wipes. We are talking basically one wipe a day. I go through so many baby wipes that I have never had this problem, as they don’t last long enough to get to that stage.
The wipes might seem expensive initially, because you have to buy all of the ingredients and usually I purchase these in big bottles which cost more, but they last forever!
To make these wipes, you need the following:
- Dr Bronner’s Castile Soap
- Fractionated Coconut Oil (I have recently substituted this for MCT coconut oil that you can purchase from the supermarket)
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Paper Towel (Viva select-a-size is my favourite)
- Cooled, boiled water
I have tried to use other paper towels but Viva is my favourite. Some of them (cheaper brands) don’t pull apart easily and the wipes just become stuck together. I also love the ‘select-a-size’ by Viva because the size of the paper towel sheets is a bit smaller than regular paper towel size. I find it the perfect wipe size. I also don’t cut my paper towel. I find it annoying and messy and if I am purchasing the select-a-size paper towel, the wipes end up a great size and it is SO MUCH easier than trying to cut paper towel with a knife! It’s the little things, right?
How To Make Homemade Baby Wipes
This is the exact process I take to make my wipes!
- Remove cardboard roll from inside of paper towel roll.
- Put paper towel into your chosen wipes container. I use a ‘Sistema’ brand container that I purchased from the supermarket.
- In a small jug (I use an old milk-frothing jug from our coffee machine), combine the following:
- 3 TBS Castile Soap
- 3 TBS Coconut Oil
- 8-10 drops of Lavender
- 8-10 drops of Tea Tree
- Cooled, boiled water
- Mix together and pour over your roll of paper towel.
- Seal your container and let the paper towel absorb the liquid.
- Your wipes are ready to use!
I love that these wipes are so much more gentle on my daughter’s bottom. I also like to make them quite wet because I find supermarket wipes can be dry and leave the skin red and sore.
Although baby wipes really aren’t playroom related, I wanted to share this DIY baby recipe in case it helps others who might be in the same boat as me!